Learning on Your Doorstep integrates creative outdoor play with curricular attainment while increasing the challenge, enjoyment and professional development of the teachers using it. The book presents a series of topics which channel the children’s outdoor experience into writing outcomes to reflect the current Primary Framework for Literacy. Using child-led, kinesthetic teaching and learning techniques, each topic helps teacher and class build an imaginary world to explore and includes:
- Session plan tables to enable teachers to easily access relevant information;
- collaborative activities, games and drama to stimulate discussion;
- photo-copiable items such as letters, imaginary maps and animal fact jigsaws;
- optional classroom follow-up activities and a final writing task;
- tips on how to prepare and resource each session.
Guidance on adapting for different abilities and ages is also given, along with curriculum links and pedagogical rationale, to let primary teachers put creative outdoor play at the centre of the primary teaching timetable.
The ideas in this book are suitable for implementation in any school environment, using resources commonly found in the stock cupboard or home. All you will need to add is some preparation and imagination!