The book is about looking at natural materials in a new light and discovering how they can be used creatively. It shows children from eight upwards, including teenagers – and their parents – how to make anything from a cricket bat to an ice lantern, and enjoy expeditions, games and parties outdoors – all with the emphasis firmly on fun.
From making things that fly to playing hay bale games, fashioning monsters from wet clay to trying stone Jenga, creating living willow sculptures to making natural jewellery, the book helps youngsters to open their eyes and use their imaginations, and to discover the wonder and value of natural materials.
- How to drag kids away from the Xbox. (Reader’s Digest )
- So much more than an outdoors make-and-do manual. It’s more of an imaginative invitation to enjoy nature. (Independent )
- Joyous step-by-step ‘learning’ and imagination-stimulating stuff. (Cumbria )
- Exceptionally exciting entertainment for exeat. (Field )
- A joyous celebration of childhood and the great, wild outdoors, this book is packed with ideas to keep children busy… Open the doors, switch off the TV and push the kids outside! (Cornwall Today )
- Packed to bursting with wonderful photographs and simple instructions on how to make things using natural materials. Oxfordshire authors Fiona Danks and Jo Schofield have obviously had great fun in preparing the book. (Oxford Times )
- Full of a welter of activities to get adults and children to really enjoy and explore the outdoors. The combination of practical skills, using what’s to hand; creativity and imagination is most inspiring and I’m sure this book will be a boon for any-one who enjoys being in a group in the big outdoors. The book is sturdily produced on quality paper, stitched in the old fashioned way so that it opens flat, with lots of colour photos and clear instructions and explanations. A really beautiful book to own and use. (School Librarian )
- Another fantastic book in the series with inspiring pictures and ideas to encourage you to have a go at something new outside. (Juno )
- An absolute goldmine of creative activities that makes me want to get outside NOW and do it all. It fizzes with life, the beauty of Nature, creativity. (Juno )